Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Quite the predicament

IMG_2042
I have quite the predicament. You see, whenever I really enjoy a book, I read it ever so slowly, relishing every word. I become, perhaps, a bit too happy and even obsessive over it. I just don't want it to end. My solution to this? I read the book up until the last chapter and then walk away from it for weeks at a time. Somehow this makes me feel like it will last longer. Ridiculous, right?! Well, that's where I am at right now with David Douglas, a Naturalist at Work: An Illustrated Exploration Across Two Centuries in the Pacific Northwest. Oh my, how I am loving ever last detail of this book. It has been inspiring me to go out and find some of the very same plants Douglas brought back to Europe. We have quite a few of them in our back yard. Even the Douglas squirrel is a regular visitor to our feeders. I just wish I found this book when we first moved here so I had more time to visit and explore many of the places Douglas studied. I am a least planning a field trip to McLoughlin house in the upcoming weeks. Dr. John McLoughlin was an enormous help to Douglas during his time here in the PNW.

Thankfully, their is another book out by the same author, The Collector: David Douglas and the Natural History of the Northwest. I think that maybe now I can find peace and convince myself to read the last chapter in my book knowing that another one is waiting for me.

On another note, be sure to come back tomorrow for a great giveaway with one of my family's personal favorite products! See you then.

p.s. - Anyone else have a cat (or other pet) that insists on sleeping on your knitting and/or book? Bhakti does this to me every.single.time I sit down to do one or the other.




Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...